What Bike and Build is all about...

Bike and Build is a non-profit organization that raises money and awareness for the affordable housing crisis through the arrangement of cross-country biking trips. The organization primarily engages college students ages 18-25 on 8 different routes. Specifically, Bike and Build attempts to engage young adults in a life-long commitment to service and philanthropy by providing participants with a very intimate approach to the affordable housing crisis. For more information about the organization, check out their website at www.bikeandbuild.org.

Also, a very big thank you to everyone who donated to the cause. Each rider is required to raise a minimum of $4,000 and my current total is $6,770! Thank you again for your support!


Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sojourning to Leicestershire!

Following a short stint in the North of England at Manchester I made my way down to Leicester to see fellow Bike and Builder Anthony Lazarus. When I get to his house he mentions in a rather matter of fact fashion, "Hey my dad likes to brag that this house is older than your country!" (It was something like 300 years old. That's just straight ridonkolous) Which leads me to my next point: Anthony's parents were straight out of Harry Potter. The accents, the friendliness, everything and I only got to see them for one night since they were gone for the weekend! (Risky Business anyone) ANYWAY, after sliding around Anthony's house in our socks and underwear we decided to throw on some spandex and do some cycling around the English countryside.

This is where the fun dissolves into sheer terror for me. As you might have heard people on the other side of the pond have an odd propensity to drive ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD! So during our 20 mile ride I followed Anthony as close as possible. To be honest, it wasn't all that bad in the beginning, but then we reached those infamous "roundabouts" which really threw the ride into massive confusion. Now they were not only on the wrong side of the road, but now they are coming in ALL DIRECTIONS. Long story short, Anthony has a knack for confusing the hell out of me on bike rides whether this involves going 10 miles off track in Connecticut or cruising all over England.

All kidding aside, England's countryside is BEAUTIFUL! Anthony's house is probably on about 30 different postcards that I just haven't seen yet. Did I mention that Anthony is also an incredible cook? In addition to entertaining me throughout my visit he cooked me a couple delicious meals one of which is pictured below.

The last event of the visit: watching the Leicester Soccer Club drop the hammer on every other opponent across England. Unstoppable.

Admire:

WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD!







WRONG SIDE OF THE CAR!!

No comments:

Post a Comment